Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Comics Conundrum

For the past two years, I've become really obsessed with comic books and visual storytelling. I suppose I always was in love with the medium but it really has gone to Ludicrous Speed since the 2013 Calgary Expo. I would constantly talk about them at work, talk about stroylines, great writers and artists to the point where I'm probably referred to as "The Superhero Guy".

In early October I did an inventory of all the comic books in my apartment and came to a total of 151 single issues, 38 trade paperbacks, four books based off of webcomics and 11 books related to comic writing, art books etc. Ten days ago I did another inventory count and the number of single issues nearly doubled. Currently standing at 283 and I've still got more coming in the mail within a day or two. 

Just a selection of the comics in my apartment (I'm more of a DC fan)

My supervisor at work (For the sake of anonymity, I'll refer to her as Captain N) suggested that maybe I start a blog and just talk about comics there since I do it on Facebook so much. Not a bad idea except that I barely update this blog as it is and I tried doing something like this with cartoons a few years ago and never really went anywhere with it. 

However, with Lent coming up, I decided to do what I did last year and abstain from buying comic books. It'll help me save money and also I'll be able to buy more stuff at this year's Calgary Expo. And if I'm not buying comics, I suppose it'll give me more time to catch up on one's that I haven't gotten around to actually reading yet and maybe even use this blog more often. 

With that said, I'd like to announce that my next post will be about one of my favorite ongoing comic series, and that's IDW's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 
This is how you do a reboot of a long running series

No comments:

Updates

  So it's been a while since I've done one of these. 78 days to be exact.